Trans Borneo 2023
“The Twilight Trail!”
Fantastic and challenging expedition around Borneo island
17th June – 7th July 2023
Concept of the event
NBE is organizing the Trans Borneo – The Twilight Trail in 2022 (TBTTT, TB3T). It is called “The Twilight Trail” because at this point of time Kalimantan is a mysterious and forbidding region. However, development is fast coming and changing the face of this remote region. Experience the wilderness while you can.
From dawn to dusk…
This is the dawn of a new era in reachability and access into Borneo and Kalimantan and the dusk is setting on it as being a remote and backward part of Borneo. Also, in tackling some areas particularly the legendary Gunung Slukut, the participants had to work hard, driving, and winching, and inching their way from dawn to dusk and beyond. That is another reason why it called The Twilight Trail!
The event is divided into two classes, Touring Class and Hardcore Class. Both will drive to Balikpapan and into Nusantara, the new capital of Indonesia. At Balikpapan and throughout the journey, there will be opportunities to meet the business community where opportunities abound. We will also visit some of the most beautiful islands and places in Kalimantan.
On the return journey, the convoy will split, the Touring returning to Sabah while the Hardcore turn west to enter severe off-road territory (“The Twilight Zone”) emerging into Kapit, and finishing in Lawas, Sarawak.
This event invites adventurers and off-roaders to experience one of the last great adventures in the world : THE TWILIGHT TRAIL! This event is also suitable for touring adventure groups using standard, unmodified 4×4 vehicles.
The TBTTT is eminently suitable for tourism and commerce.
Highlight of the event
- Endurance & Adventure (non-competitive)
- Travelling to major cities and remote parts in Kalimantan Indonesia
- A blend between Adventure Travel and Hardcore Off-Road experience
- “Expect the Unexpected!”
Objectives of the event
- To strengthen & foster closer relationship between the people of BIMP-EAGA specifically in Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei Darussalam.
- To explore and seek business opportunities within Borneo.
- To explore the natural beauty of Borneo
- To promote Travel & Tourism in Borneo to an international audience.
- To promote the NBE concept of CHAN – Commerce, Culture, Cuisine and Conservation, History & Heritage, Adventure & Agriculture, Nature and Nightlife in Borneo Island.
- To challenge men & machine against the great outdoors.
- To have fun and adventure.
Itinerary - Hardcore
Itinerary - Touring
PACKAGES & DEALS
Rates in US Dollars
Touring (14 days car 3450km)
Hardcore (21 days car 4150km)
For Local and ASEAN rates, please contact organisers here
Limited to 50 vehicles
with maximum 120 participants
Early bird payment:
10 % discount
After 30/04/2023: Full rate applicable.
Deadline for registration is 17/05/2023 in order to comply with immigration and custom requirements.
Registration fee payable to:
NORTH BORNEO EXPLORER SDN BHD (NBE)
Acc No : 0100 7750 5375
Bank : MAYBANK
Swift Code : MBBEMYKL
PARTICIPANTS WILL GET …….
- Accommodation & meals as stated in programme, drinking water
- Welcome & farewell dinner
- Certificate of participation & souvenir programme
- Official apparel (T-shirt etc)
- Expedition souvenir
- Official car stickers & car number (car owners)
- Mechanical assistance (excluding spare parts)
- Professional tour guides
- Medical assistance
- Border and custom clearance
Below are under negotiation and subject to confirmation:
- Tyres ( for car owners only)
- 5GB pack
- Insurance and Evacuation
- Other goodies
ON OWN …..(subject to confirmation)
- Vehicle (jump seats can be provided)
- Fuel to be borne by car owner and jumpseaters to share with drivers (Fuel average: hardcore : 600l, touring 500l)
- Vehicle maintenance prior to expedition
- Cost of sending vehicle to starting point and back
- Air faires to and from Sabah if applicable
- Recovery kit (mandatory for hardcore)
- Meals not listed; snacks & food for self catering
- Local hotel and/or other taxes
- Tips & gratuities
- Covid-19 test
PROMOTION OF THE EVENT
- Via press / media conferences / releases
- Engage media partners to join & write about the expedition
- TV Coverage / Local TV Station (RTM) / Radio Television Indonesia (RTI) / CCTV China (To be confirmed) / National Geographic – Rest of the World (ROW) (To be confirmed)
- Tour operators
- YouTube / Youtubers
- NBE’s website (transborneo.net)
- MOTAC’s (TM) website under upcoming events
- STB’s website under upcoming events
- MITA, MATTA, STGA, SHA
- Flyers, Brochures, Posters, Newspaper articles
PAST EVENTS COVERAGE
Newspaper (TRANS BORNEO: LAND BELOW THE WIND 2021)
The Borneo Post :
- TBLBW back with a Vengeance
- Angkatan Hebat sponsor vehicles for expedition
- Expedition Begins CSR Project in Interior
New Strait Times
New Strait Times Press
- Sabah Trans Borneo 4×4 expedition back after a year to revive state nature tourism
- Sabah GLC enters fray to revive nature tourism via off-road expedition
- TBLBW, Amal Malaysia begin CSR project in Sabah’s interior divisions
- More women, Peninsular Malaysia participation in TBLBW this year
- Sabah to collect data via TSA to optimise tourism sector
- First-timers thrilled by Sabah off-road expedition
Head Topic Malaysia
- Othoe ATUKOI FM
- YAMIN VONG (MEDIA)
- Adventure Drive & Camping
- TBLBW, Crossing the Kinabatangan river, the longest in Sabah
- Pygmy elephants crossing the road while we enroute from Semporna to Maliau Basin, Sabah
- The collateral damage of fish bombing is destructions of corals
- TBLBW, Planting coral at Bohey Dulang
- TBLBW, finished at Semporna, Sabah.
- Borneo Post, April 21st 1996
– Silverstone Trans-Borneo 1996 : Mud, Sweat & Gears
- Book : Mystical Borneo : Through the eyes of the historic Silverstone Trans
– Borneo Expedition
Borneo Off-Road Adventure : The Perodua Trans Borneo Kembara Expedition 1998
- Sabah Tourism Magazine
– Trans Borneo Expedition 2014 : A collaboration of Nations – to develop Borneo as a premier overland destination
- Daily Express, New Sabah Times & See Hua Daily News
– Pajero Sports Family : Touring Tiga Negara 2016 : Borneo Escape
TARGET MARKETS FOR TOURISM
- REST OF THE WORLD
Benefits of Trans Borneo – The Twilight Trail (TB-TTT)
- Moving advertisement of CHAN unlike most events, which is in situ, e.g. BIM Borneo International Marathon, (Kota Kinabalu) , Mt. Kinabalu Climbathon (Kundasang), Lepa – lepa (Semporna), Pesta Rumbia (Kuala Penyu), TB – TTT advertises and promotes 25 or more activities and places around Borneo.
- It is designed to target new markets for Sabah, Malaysia and Borneo.
High end, High Spending
- TB-TTT is a high-end, high spending niche.
Spread the risks
- TB-TTT which targets new markets will increase the tourism market and lessen the dependence on the Chinese and Korean market.
Synergy Cross Border Tourism
- Cross-border tourism which will sell Borneo as a whole similar to packaging done for the Mekong in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam.
Selling the whole island
- Sabah is North Borneo and not Borneo per se. It is 9.8% of Borneo, Sarawak is 13% and Brunei is 0.8% while Kalimantan is 76.4%. Kalimantan is the elephant in the room. By including Kalimantan and Brunei, true Borneo packages will be sold. There will be more customer satisfaction and synergies created. This is the way of the future.
- Create bonding between the peoples of Borneo. This has political, economic and cultural dimensions for mutual benefit.
- Create connectivity between the territories and enhance the economies of both Sabah, Sarawak and Kalimantan.
IMPACT & OUTCOME FROM THE EVENT
Value added chains in the following sectors
- Transport connectivity between territories
- Development of Border Economic Area between Sabah & Kaltara
- Multi-destination tourism by creation of a Northern Borneo Circuit between Sabah, Sarawak & Kaltara
- Palm oil supply source for Sabah mills and downstream production through refining
- Development of Medical Tourism between Sabah & Kaltara
- Further down streaming in the wood product industries
- Provision of educational facilities to enhance knowledge and know-how between Sabah & Kaltara
- Organic foods and crustaceans industry
- Power generation from Sarawak
Players in the above sectors have this unique opportunity to participate in the forthcoming and anticipated growth between Sabah, Sarawak & Kaltara.
THE SUCCESS OF THIS EVENT WILL CONTRIBUTE GREATLY TO BETTER UNDERSTANDING, CONNECTIVITY AND RELATIONS BETWEEN SABAH, SARAWAK AND KALIMANTAN WITH GREATER PROSPERITY FOR ALL.
Publicity & Exposure Packages
|EXPOSURE FROM MEDIA AND TOUR OPERATORS / AGENTS|
(ii) National Geographic, Discovery Channel, BBC, CNN (to be confirmed) (iii) China TV Channels